· By Simon Greenwood-Haigh
Millionaire's shortbread recipes sometimes call for salted caramel, here the peanut butter is slightly salted and so offsets the sweetness of the caramel.
- 300g plain flour
- 200g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 140g Proper Nutty Slightly Salted peanut butter
- 250g Dulce de Leche or Caramel condensed milk
- 200g dark chocolate
- Line a 9” x 9” tin with greaseproof paper.
- To make the shortbread, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs and then mix in the caster sugar.
- Spread the mixture out evenly in the lined tin and press it down, ensuring it is pressed into the corners.
- Bake in a preheated oven 170°C (150°C fan) for 25-30 mins or until it is a pale golden colour, then allow to cool.
- Carefully layer the peanut butter over the shortbread in the tin – warming the peanut butter will make it easier to spread out. Put in the fridge to cool and set.
- Carefully layer the Dulce de Leche or caramel over the peanut butter and again, put in the fridge to set.
- Melt the chocolate and spread evenly over the caramel. Leave in a cool place, NOT the fridge to set.
- Lift the shortbread out of the tin using the greaseproof paper and cut into squares with a sharp knife.
You may find it easier to turn the caramel shortbread upside down on a cutting board in order to cut it neatly into squares.